CMUK polices the policy on handmade through a process of moderation – sampling products and reviewing items that are reported.
Defining ‘handmade’ is difficult and we continually look for ways to improve this definition so it is easy to understand and workable. If you have suggestions on how to improve our definition of handmade we’d love to hear it – please do let us know by raising a support ticket.
At least one of the following criteria must be met to list an item on CMUK:
- Majority Handmade:
The item is handmade by you through a craft practice, for example knitting (either using a pattern you have created or one that you have permission to use) or woodturning or sewing. Other examples of crafts we recognise:
Traditional crafts (Blacksmithing, calligraphy, basket making, paper folding), furniture, homemade food/cooking, woodwork, metal work, jewellery design, ceramics, glass making, needlework, dress making/tailoring, decorative art, floral design, costume design, downcycling/upcycling.
- Original Design:
The item has an original design. For example, we allow prints of illustrations, greetings cards featuring your own original design and decals of original artwork, even if you have outsourced the printing.
However, these must be your original design, not somebody else’s, or a copy of someone else’s. We also allow jewellery designs using mass produced beads where more than one element is involved in the defining feature of the finished product.
- Craft supplies
You can sell craft supplies on CMUK, whether the items are handmade by you or mass produced. Supplies can be anything which can be used for crafting, as long as they don’t break any laws within the country of origin and the sales destination. Pre-bought items that you are re-selling must be listed in the ‘commercial supplies’ category, the ‘handmade supplies’ category is for items that you have made yourself.
You must list your item as a Supply if it is one of the following:
- A commercial supply
- A handmade supply such as buttons, fabric etc.
- A kit
- A Pattern or tutorial
Prohibited Items List
You agree not to publish, offer for sale, sell, or otherwise distribute any of the following items on, through or connected with your shop or through any app. To make things a little easier, we’ve also compiled a list of things that cannot be sold on CMUK, below.
- Items which infringe copyright
- Assembled items
- Item simply ‘assembled’ from mass produced components with little or no original design involved, for example: Nappy cakes, gift baskets etc.
- Vintage Items
Vintage items can only be sold on CMUK if the item is significantly changed. This does not include simple repairs, cleaning, polishing/waxing furniture. Vintage products can be sold if they are For example:
- Upcycled (its original function has been significantly altered)
- Painted, printed or decoupaged.
- Handmade items that have not been made by you
You must have made the product you are selling (unless it is a commercial craft supply), or you must be able to prove that you designed the product. CMUK supports individual designers and makers, Crafter’s Market UK does NOT support re-sellers.
- Adult content, swearing and pornographic items
All items listed should be family friendly. Items which are deemed to be pornographic or of an “adult nature” are prohibited. If unsure you are recommended to contact us before listing.
Items featuring swear words are allowed on CMUK but we do ask that item titles/descriptions and the first image of each listing are family friendly in case young children are browsing the site unsupervised. You must remove the first vowel from any use of swear words in the title and description. You must also edit the main product image for these items to cover up (e.g. with a star), block out or completely blur the vowel. You can have an uncensored image as the second image if you wish.
- Non handmade/homemade foodstuffs
We are not willing to host products which promote hatred or bigotry, or support organisations which are involved in campaigns that are intimidating to members of any group or section of the community.
- Blood, bodily fluids, antibodies, body parts, and items derived from such things;
- Burglary tools and surveillance equipment;
- Counterfeit items;
- Content or material that is infringing or otherwise violates rights of publicity, privacy or proprietary rights, including: music; movies; e-books; games; videos; photographs and software that you do not own or have permission to use;
- Alcohol. By law you must hold an alcohol license to sell alcohol.
- Illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia and substances designed to mimic illegal drugs;
- Tobacco products;
- E-cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products;
- Fireworks, destructive devices, explosives, and hazardous materials;
- Identity documents, government documents, personal financial records, or personal information (in any form, including mailing lists);
- Lottery tickets, raffle, opportunity drawing and sweepstakes entries, slot machines, or similar gambling devices and products;
- Obscene material;
- Child pornography;
- Offensive material;
- Hate speech; including, but not limited to, speech that is harmful to others, or that is or promotes racism, sexism, transphobia, homophobia, xenophobia, fascism or white nationalism;
- Unwashed clothing and bedding and previously used cosmetics; see restricted items for washed used clothing and bedding and unused cosmetics;
- Police badges or uniforms;
- Prescription drugs, steroids, items containing pseudoephedrine, and medical devices;
- Chemicals, serums, toxins, and similar items;
- Pets and animals; including items made with wild animal fur.
- Recalled items;
- Products and services that violate any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or third party prohibition;
- Stocks or other securities;
- Code or similar automatic items, programs, or processes, such as automated software, data mining software, scrapers, bots, and automatic checkout “add to cart” services;
- Online and social media activity, such as selling likes, views, followers, and subscriptions;
- Weapons and other related items, including, without limitation, firearms, firearm parts and magazines, ammunition, BB and pellet guns, tear gas, stun guns, and switchblade knives;
- Products or content promoting prohibited medical claims, such as anti-vaccine items;
- Stolen property, including digital and virtual goods; or
- Resells of another retailers products;
- Any product or service that is illegal, violates the rights of others or is marketed or sold in such a way as to create liability for CMUK.